Bright Start to the 2017 Boxing Calendar
18th Dec, 2016
As a passionate boxing fan it's easy to get hung up on the negatives that the sport throws our way, and 2016 certainly had plenty of those. Many of the fights that the public were clambering for didn't get made and many fell through at the last minute due to financial demands or failed drug tests. Of those fights that did get made, most were mismatches that landed on PPV and did horrible numbers.
That's enough about 2016. Looking forward, I do not remember a year with as many big fights scheduled in the opening few months as 2017 has. Since we're quick to vent when boxing frustrates and angers us, we should be equally ready to give credit where credit is due. So far looking at 2017, credit is due.
- 14th Jan - James DeGale vs Badu Jack
- 28th Jan - Carl Frampton vs Leo Santa Cruz II
- 4th Mar - Keith Thurman vs Danny Garcia
- 4th Mar - David Haye vs Tony Bellew
- 18th Mar - Gennady Golovkin vs Danny Jacobs
- 28th Apr - Wladimir Klitschko vs Anthony Joshua